Nuveen Investments Senior Associate - Investments in United States
Nuveen is the investment management arm of TIAA. It is one of the largest global asset managers with specialist knowledge across a wide array of asset classes, including fixed income, listed equities and alternatives. Nuveen is driven not only by the independent investment processes across the firm, but also the insights, risk management, analytics and other tools and resources a truly world-class platform provides. As a global asset manager, our mission is to work in partnership with our clients to create outcome-focused solutions to help them secure their financial future. For more information about the firm please visit our website at www.nuveen.com
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Provides transaction and investment management support over a broad range of renewable energy assets.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
Assist in the execution of deals (acquisition, merge and divesture).
Production of financial models for renewable energy generation projects/assets.
Draft investments proposals with support and input from senior leaders.
Project manage transactions and coordinate work products from external advisors.
- University (Degree) Preferred
- 2 Years Required; 3 Years Preferred
Job name: Analyst / Associate
Department Investment team
Purpose of role
Glennmont Partners is one of Europe’s largest fund managers focusing exclusively on investment in clean energy infrastructure. The company raises long-term capital to invest in renewable power generation projects such as wind farms, photovoltaic assets, biomass power stations and small-scale hydro power plants. Our specialist, international team has a wealth of experience in the development, construction and operation of renewable power generation assets. Formerly BNP Paribas Clean Energy Partners, the team has been working together since 2007, and has established a reputation for making intelligent, long-term investments that deliver absolute returns. In 2021, Nuveen/TIAA ($1.1 trillion assets under management) announced their intention of acquiring of Glennmont Partners.
The candidate will provide transaction support on a broad range of potential targets. The job will be focussed on transaction support and origination and will entail a significant amount of financial modelling and quantitative analysis, but will also offer the opportunity to take a much broader role in origination, the negotiation and the closing of deals as well as and in post-closing asset management support.
The role is primarily a focussed on financial modelling, documentation and origination, providing support in the delivery of investment projects and operational assets. The candidate will have the opportunity to establish him or her-self within a growing and successful team with significant growth ambitions. The team has a clear staff professional development policy and the candidate will have access to senior management.
The role key responsibilities
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the Western European transaction origination, analysis and execution of renewables investments.
Modelling and investment proposals
• Preparation of cashflow-based financial models for renewable energy generation targets
• Analyse and interpret results, run sensitivities to help with the assessment of the investment case
• Understand and analyse target financial statements
• Understand and optimise the project contractual structures from a financial perspective
• Define, document, and monitor all project assumptions
• Draft investment proposals and investment committee presentations with support and input from investment directors
• Keep track of comparable transactions, support in documentation management
• Support origination activities with renewable project developers and asset owners
• Assist in the execution of deals (acquisition, merger, project financing and divesture)
• Project manage transactions and coordinate due diligence work streams with external advisors (developers, lawyers, technical advisors, EPC contractors, etc…)
• Support in internal and external stakeholder management
• Support in liaising with renewable energy and clean tech organisations
• Conduct research on selected sectors, countries or market segments to identify potential investment opportunities
• Follow regulatory development in the renewable energy sectors (regulatory framework, tariffs, EU targets, etc.
Fund Level Support
From time to time the role will entail offering support to the Partners with Fund level activities. Such activities may include:
• Production of marketing materials for fund raising campaigns
• Compilation of VDD material’s for potential LPs
• Miscellaneous additional activities associated with business development
• Support with raising financing activities
• Support with model audit
• Provide assistance in transaction administration, ensuring compliance of internal procedures
• Various business development initiatives
The candidate specific knowledge & skills
A successful candidate should bring a strong background in the financial modelling of regulated assets and a European language skillset.
• Highly motivated and proactive individual interested in investment funds, renewable energy and keen to work in a fast-growing business environment
• Strong financial service background gained in banks, big 4 accounting firms, energy infrastructure funds, private equity funds, energy utility (finance or M&A department)
• Minimum 1-3 year relevant working experience
• M&A / financing transaction experience preferred
• Relevant experience of power industry preferred (including but not limited to onshore wind, offshore wind, solar PV, Biomass)
• Significant Excel financial modelling experience including VBA required
• Significant experience in structuring deals, optimising investment cases (construction sources and uses, operating cash flows, cash waterfalls), analysing financial statements, performing valuations, and stress testing of projects
• Experience in optimising debt structures, financial ratios and equity cash flows
• Experience in management accounting, investment review, tax structuring
• Sensitivities optimisation
• Critical thinking
• Have excellent oral and written communication skills
• Capable of communicating results from financial modelling to senior management and also capable of dealing professionally to third party service providers
• Excellent attention to detail and ability to raise and discuss areas of risk and concern
• PowerPoint & Word (ability to prepare presentations and other corporate documents)
• Excellent project management and organisation skills
• Demonstrate sound business judgment and an analytical skills
• Be pragmatic and bring a creative approach to problem solving
• A strong academic background is required as demonstrated by an excellent degree
• Progress towards CFA, CIMA, ACA, ACCA preferred
• Fluent English required with additional European language strongly (e.g. Italian or Spanish) preferred
TIAA offers support for those who need assistance with our online application process to provide an equal employment opportunity to all job seekers, including individuals with disabilities.
If you are a U.S. applicant and desire a reasonable accommodation to complete a job application please use one of the below options to contact our accessibility support team:
Phone: (800) 842-2755
For residents of California, please click here (https://www.tiaa.org/public/tiaa-nuveen-ca-privacy) to access the TIAA CA Applicant Privacy Notice.
For residents of the EU / UK, please click here (https://www.tiaa.org/public/nuveen-eu-uk-privacy) to access the EU / UK Pre-employment Notice.
For all other residents, click here (http://www.tiaa.org/public/tiaa-nuveen-privacy) to access the Applicant Privacy Notice.
TIAA started out over 100 years ago to help ensure teachers could retire with dignity. Today, many people who work at not-for-profits rely on our wide range of financial products and services to support and strengthen their financial well-being.